College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Department of Biology student ambassadors will share their experiences as a student at Iowa to prospective students and guests while enhancing their communication and leadership skills in this non-paid, volunteer position. This position is a great networking and resume-building opportunity!
In this role, students will assist with undergraduate recruitment activities. Some of the responsibilities and activities include:
- Give tours of the Department of Biology
- Meet with prospective students and their guests
- Participate in student panels
- Represent the Department of Biology at Hawkeye Visit Day “Exploring Majors and Information Fairs”
- Meet with new transfer students during orientation
- Send follow-up postcards and/or emails
- Attend student ambassador meetings
Please note training will be provided, and you do not need to participate in all of the activities listed above. We are also very flexible with your schedule.
While the ambassador program is a volunteer opportunity, there are guidelines for
participation. A successful candidate must:
- Be a declared major in Biology, Biomedical Sciences, or Neuroscience
- Exhibit excellent customer service skills and interact professionally with prospective students and their guests
- Be comfortable speaking in front of large groups (50-75) of prospective students and their families for student panels
- Share experiences in a positive, yet realistic view with prospective students and guests
- Enthusiastic about your major and experiences at the University of Iowa
- Complete mandatory university ambassador training through the Admissions office (a one-time training session for about an hour)
- Provide at least a semester-long commitment to be an ambassador
- Be in good conduct standing with the University
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 while holding the position
- Research experience in the Department of Biology (preferred)
- Click here to fill out the online application
- Once the application is submitted, you will be contacted for an interview
Applications are accepted on a year-round basis.
For more information, contact Steve Kehoe.