Applications for Fall semester (August) enrollment will be reviewed on a continual basis beginning December 1.
Step 1: Establish an account through the online application (first time users must create an account). To choose the iBio program, select "Graduate College," then choose "Integrated Biology (Biology)" when asked for the Department/Program.
The application fee is $60 for domestic applicants and $100 for international students. You must pay your application fee online with your credit card. Your application will not be processed until your non-refundable application fee has been paid.
Within two business days of completing the first part of the application and paying the application fee, you will receive an email link that will direct you to the second part of the application process. In the second part of the application, you will upload your relevant documentation (i.e. transcripts, resume/CV, Statement of Interest, etc.).
At any point during the online application, you can save and return to it at a later time up until you submit your application. Only one application may be uploaded per email address.
Please have the following information ready before continuing with Step 2 (below) in the online application process:
- The names and e-mail addresses of your three references
- Transcripts (official or unofficial)
- GRE scores (from the Educational Testing Service website)
- TOEFL score (only required if you are an international student)
- A CV or resume (in PDF format) that you can upload to our website when prompted.
*Please note you can provide unofficial/self-reported GRE and TOEFL scores and transcripts. However, if you are offered admission, you will need to arrange to have your official scores and academic records from each college/university you attended sent to the University of Iowa Office of Admissions.
Office of Admissions
The University of Iowa
108 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242-1396
The University of Iowa and department/program codes for the GRE and TOEFL scores are as follows: the University of Iowa code is 6681 (for both the GRE and TOEFL) and the department/program code is 0203 (for the GRE) and 35 (for the TOEFL).
Step 2: Return to your online application account (which you established in Step 1 above) and follow the instructions for providing us your GRE and TOEFL scores, Statement of Purpose, CV or resume, and three letters of recommendation (please see additional details below).
*If you experience problems completing form fields in the browser, save the file to your computer and complete it using a PDF editor (i.e. Adobe or Preview).
- Statement of Interest/Research: Please provide a one-page statement in which you discuss your professional interests, special abilities, research accomplished or that you hope to accomplish, goals, and how a graduate education in biology relates to your goals. Please use the attached form or your own of similar format and upload the document (a PDF file format is required) through the "Other Documents" option on the online application.
- Resume/Curriculum vitae (CV): Please upload your resume/CV in a PDF file format through the "Other Documents" option on the online application.
- Recommendation letters: Three recommendation letters are required as part of the application. On the application, you will list three recommenders (preferably faculty) with their email addresses. Once you complete the application, the recommenders will be sent an email with instructions on how to submit their letter of recommendation.
- Students applying to the iBio Program must also complete the Supplemental Data Form (basic demographic information) when prompted.
- Other supporting documents may be submitted through the "Other Documents" option (such as publications) but are not required.
The iBio Program Admissions Committee will begin reviewing applications around December 1. Interviews are by invitation only. Students residing in the United States may be offered an expenses paid trip to Iowa City (typically in February) to meet with our faculty and graduate students. At this time, only students residing in the United States (citizens or foreign nationals) will be considered for interviews in Iowa City. International students invited for an interview will be conducted through Skype. For additional information, please see the iBio Admissions page.